The MAsters on Photonic NETworks Engineering (MAPNET) is a
full time two-year programme, focused on the competence
related to the generation, manipulation, transport and
detection of signals exploiting photons as a support to convey
information. This area is currently recognised as one of the
most significant within Information and Communication
Technologies (ICT) and the enabling architectures for the
future Internet. In fact, the increasing quantity and
importance of data exchange and relevant services in next
generation Internet requires to utilise in an efficient manner
advanced technologies such as data transport over optical
The initiative is structures into two different paths, a
local one, at the Institute of Communication, Information and
Perception Technologies (TeCIP) of Scuola Superiore Sant'Anna,
and an international one, within the framework of the Erasmus
The MAPNET Erasmus Mundus international path
of the Masters develops in the ERASMUS MUNDUS framework of
the programme. The international programme is offered by
a consortium of four universities and with the support of five
international enterprises acting as associated members. It
places in the buildings and relevant laboratories of the
- 21 October 2014 - New call open for extra-EU visiting scholars for a two-week period before the 28th February 2015 - deadline: 17th November 2014 - Please APPLY HERE
- 16 May 2014 - Results for the A.Y. 2014-16 edition (Erasmus Mundus international path with/without scholarship and local path) are NOW AVAILABLE
- 9 January 2014 - Call for the A.Y. 2014-16 edition (Erasmus Mundus international path with scholarship) is CLOSED. Evaluation results will be available in April/May 2014
- 8 Nov 2012 - Website maintenance in progress. New contents soon available!
- 18 Feb. 2010 - Applicants of other Erasmus Mundus Courses have received fraudulent fee requests via e-mail. Please, DO NOT consider these fake e-mails and check any communication with the: MAPNET Administration.
MAPNET Consortium Members
- Scuola Superiore Sant'Anna - Italy, acting as Coordinator;
- Aston University - UK;
- Technische Universität Berlin - Germany;
- Osaka University - Japan.
- Ericsson Research - Sweden;
- Deutsch Telekom - Germany;
- Mistubishi Electric Corporation - Japan;
- Fujitsu Laboratories Ltd - Japan;
- National Institute of Information and Communications Technologies - Japan.
The MAPNET local path consists of a University Masters – 1st level degree and is offered exclusively by Scuola Superiore Sant'Anna.
The Masters program consists of 120 ECTS (two academic years,
divided into four semesters). Each semester allows 30 ECTS to
be gained. The first three semesters are based on traditional
courses, lab exercise and laboratory sessions, while the last
is based on independent work related to the Masters thesis.
More @ Study Programme.
The language of instruction at Scuola Superiore Sant'Anna, Aston University and Osaka University is English. The language of instruction at Technische Universität Berlin is German.